prudence

my cat is one of my favourite creatures in the whole world.
i am looking for a job on seek.com with my legs crossed, hunching over my laptop on my double bed.
of all the places she could sleep in all the space this bed provides, she chooses to tuck herself under my left thigh and, unassumingly, fall asleep purring.

she's close to perfect.
except, she's missing most of her tiny teeth and all her fangs, save one.
she also hisses like a maniac at our other cats.
and because she's old, when she walks it's all tentative and unsure, as though each weighted and clumsy step has the poorly executed intention of a careful tread behind it.

one-toothed, grumpy and ageing, she gums her way into my heart.

if i could say something to her that she could actually understand, it would probably be, 'i like the way you sometimes sit in my lap and just rest your chin on my arm, in the crook of my elbow, like it's the most normal thing in the world to do.'

i know i am going to be devastated when she's gone.